What is Pneumonia?
Pneumonia and other serious infections caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae are the leading cause ofvaccine-preventable illnesses and death in the United States.
Who Should Get the Vaccine?
Some people are at an increased risk for pneumococcal disease. Those at increased risk include:
- People 65 years of age and older
- People who are very young
- People with certain health problems (e.g. heart disease, lung disease, diabetes)
- People with a weakened immune system (e.g. due to HIV or AIDS, an organ transplant, leukemia or lymphoma)
PGPA Pharmacy offers the Pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine (PPSV). This vaccine protects a person against 23 types of pneumococcal bacteria. Those who should receive the PPSV include:
- All adults 65 years of age and older
- Adults 19-64 years of age who are smokers or have asthma
- Persons aged 2-64 who have certain long-term health problems
- Persons aged 2-64 who have a weakened immune system as a result of a disease, condition, medication or treatment
How Much Does the Pneumococcal Vaccine Cost?
Medicare does pay for the Pneumococcal vaccine. To determine if other insurance plans cover the vaccine, please contact your insurance plan sponsor for more detailed information. The cash price for the vaccine is $85.91. Please call the pharmacy with any questions regarding cost and insurance coverage.CC
Do I Need an Appointment for the Pneumococcal Vaccine?
Where Can I Get More Information Regarding Pneumonia and the Vaccine?
For more specific information regarding pneumococcal disease and the PPSV, please contact a PGPA pharmacist or refer to the following:
- CDC Vaccine Information Page: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/pneumo/default.htm
- Vaccine information sheet: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/downloads/vis-ppv.pdf