What is Influenza?
The flu (or influenza) is a contagious disease caused by influenza viruses that are spread by coughing, sneezing, talking, and nasal secretions. Symptoms of the flu come on suddenly and include some or all of the following:
- Fever (however, not everyone with the flu will present with a fever)
- Sore throat
- Runny/stuffy nose
- Muscle/body aches
- Vomiting and diarrhea (these symptoms are most common in children)
Did You Know?
People with the flu can spread the virus to others up to about SIX feet away!
Who Should Get the Flu Vaccine?
If you are older than 6 months of age, YOU should get your flu vaccine every year. Getting an annual flu vaccine is especially important for those at higher risk of having severe influenza. Those at higher risk include people 65 years of age and older, people with chronic medical conditions (e.g. diabetes, asthma, heart disease, and chronic lung disease), pregnant patients, and children. It is also important to get your flu vaccine if you care for someone who is at higher risk of severe influenza (e.g. healthcare providers, child caregivers, household contacts).
Who Should Talk with Their Doctor Before Getting the Flu Vaccine?
If you agree with any of the following statements, please talk with your physician before getting the flu vaccine:
- I have severe and/or life-threatening allergies
- I have a severe and/or life-threatening allergy to eggs or to a component of the vaccine
- I have had a severe reaction following a previous flu vaccine
- I have a history of Guillian-Barre Syndrome
How Much Does the Flu Vaccine Cost?
Most insurances will cover the vaccine with little or no copayment. If you do not have insurance, the 2016 cost of the vaccination is $35
Do I Need an Appointment for an Influenza Vaccine?
Appointments are not necessary. Our business hours are Monday - Friday 9:00am to 6:00pm and Saturday 9:00am to 1:00pm. We are closed on Sundays.
Where Can I Get More Information Regarding Influenza and the Vaccine?
- CDC Vaccine Information Page: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/flu/default.htm
- Vaccine Information Sheet: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/downloads/vis-flu.pdf